Monday, December 17, 2007

Does she always talk about food? or Another Tragic Christmas Tale


I am not trying to be selfish, it just happens. In this new neighborhood, the tradition is to have a party and everyone brings donation to a charity in lieu of neighbor gifts. This is a splendid idea, in theory. We help a charity and we are less likely to pack on the holiday pounds. I went to the Christmas neighborhood party with happy feelings of generosity. It was at the Beckstrands (a red-headed couple who adopt pretty children and who are as nice as and sing like the Osmonds). Then I saw the table full of holiday treats. I didn't want toys for tots to have the baby mobile I brought. I wanted all of those cookies, fudge, and cheese platters delivered to my door. I like getting neighbor treats! Why the "heck" did I move back to Utah if I wasn't going to get neighbor gifts at Christmas??
I laughed my love handles off when I saw this article about the same:
http://www.sltrib.com/News/ci_7740037
So, to all our neighbors! May in your moments of baking those pecan snowballs, m & m cookies, candied banana bread, and cookie dough yule logs, think of us sitting around our empty table, waiting for the Christmas spirit to touch you and to touch our table.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! I totally agree! Where are my christmas treats?! The next time I make bannana bread I will bring you a loaf :)

Anonymous said...

Ha! Melonie, just found your blog through Sarah's. Just reading through....have to say even though it's May I TOTALLY agree! Love the treats! Love giving them out when I remember to (but didn't this last year because I ruined all the cookies).