The first thing that I remember losing was a stuffed ghost called Casper. Casper was my comfort and dearest friend. Growing up, I sometimes would imagine him in a landfill or some other child's room and I would have to hold back the tears.
The next thing I remember losing was my "blankie." It was a pink satin baby blanket. I hid it under the stairs and went back later to find it gone. I never saw it again.
Gradually, the things I lost got bigger....the antique filigree earrings that were as big as my palm, the paper that I worked on all night and was due the next day, the key to the storage shed at my Dad's rental apartments. I can see them in my mind's eye. I have left a trail of worn and dear items in my wake, just like Hansel and Gretel's little white pebbles. Perhaps these loses prepared me for what was to come. Looking back, I realize that none of those things really meant so much. What did matter were the bigger things.
I remember the first time I lost a good friend due to my own arrogance. I lost my patience too many times. I remember the day I lost my innocence. I look back with sadness on the day I lost some confidence and my parent's trust in me. I lost a man that I dearly loved. I lost my sweet grandmother to old age. I have lost opportunity after opportunity.
I try to fill up the empty places with other things, but the new things never quite fill the empty holes just right. Probably, as it should be.
On that note, this song, sung by my amazing little sister, is dedicated to all those things that I have lost over the last forty years...especially that chance at that kiss behind that big house in those woods where we trespassed....you know who you are.
For those who want to subscribe to Katrina's music: http://www.youtube.com/user/trinatrinabobina
Tell me some things that you have lost...
4 comments:
I couldn't listen to the song for some reason, but you got me thinking...hmmm. Most of the things I can think of quickly are just abstract items that, as you mentioned, seem unimportant now. I do lose my patience too much, and some days I feel I may lose my mind! That was a very thought provoking post, Miss Melonie. I will ponder on it some more... :)
That song was great and Katrina is amazing! Thanks.
OK...LOVED the music. Do you have some hidden family singing talent that you've been hiding? Losing patience these days is what's coming to mind for me. But of course I can think of a lot more from days past...high school love, talents that I've let go, and my wedding ring to name a few. (and yes, I've prayed to find it and it hasn't happened yet!)
Thanks for the shout out, Mel! I never knew what happened to my Big Ben Bear...remember him? Oh and well losing my mind, that is an off again, on again process that will hopefully calm down in 15 years or so when the kids are past teens.
Post a Comment