It's late...or early, depending on how you look at it. D'Artagnan is asleep, the room is dark except for the computer monitor light. I'm feeling a bit restless and just want someone to talk to. I don't even have anything particular I want to talk about...maybe priorities or God or how hard it is to be a Mom when you still feel like a child yourself. Is anyone out there who would like to talk?
This morning, I was helping Sugar Princess get dressed. She said, in her sing-song voice, something like, "I want to wear that shirt, Mama, " and the world turned upside down for just a split-second. The word "Mama" hung in the room like a large piece of broken glass clinging to a shattered window. Me? Mama? Wait. Time spinned. I was just six, looking in my closet for something to wear. My daughter is me. I scooped her in my arms, so I could slow this moment down and savor it.
She smelled of laundry soap and Spring.
I could almost reach out my hand and touch my childhood.
5 comments:
I remember being 12 and it being a neighbor's birthday, the big 3-0! I was shocked by how OLD she was. Tsk-tsk! Silly me. I just turned 39 this week. My hubby and I muse that we are the responsible ones.
I love that you scooped up your sweet pea and savored the moment. Even better that you have written it down.
What a beautiful picture! I was up late finishing the Dan Brown book! I'm sure you will have great wisdom about this read. ;) Time does fly, and I know I don't take the time to cherish it as much as I should. Thank you for the reminder!
Thanks, Mel. I remember thinking I'll never make it to 17. Now, I think...50 is just around the corner.
Ang, you are always one to watch with your kids. You always bend down and speak to them and look them in the eye. I love that about you.
I was up ALL night with kids...not really wanting to talk, just wanting to get some sleep! :)
I love that picture - it's gorgeous. It's so great that you got up to write it down, and someday you'll be able to recall that moment and tell her all about it.
Great post! I too keel like just kid trying to raise kids.
Post a Comment