Saturday, May 14, 2011

Gift from God Number Eleven

Yesterday I went on a fieldtrip with the 2nd grade to a Garden Nursery.  It had been a very busy morning as I had already been to an assembly, sat in a classroom for a presentation, went shopping for Shakespeare costumes, and a run to Costco..all with little Aramis in tow. As I followed the 2nd graders around, I noticed S.  She said, “Melonie! What are you doing?” She has always been kind to me.  We have disagreed on some things, but I feel there has always been a mutual regard and respect for one another.  S. has always impressed me with her quick mind and kind heart.  She was wandering through all the flowers.  I followed the 2nd graders on their tour.  It was hot.  I was tired.  I saw S. was still wandering and teased her a bit about it.  She said that the nursery was, for her, like going to a “museum,” as she is an avid gardener.  I kept thinking that I should really buy some flowers while I was there to brighten things up around my house, but I didn’t.  I didn’t have the time to wander and peruse and enjoy all the flowers – I was too busy trying to keep track of Sugar Princess and Aramis amidst sixty other kids.  I grabbed some Preen weed killer and some garden gloves to pave the way for my garden intentions.
When I got home this was on my front porch with a note:
“Melonie, It was great (and unbelievable) to see you at the nursery today.  I had just read your blog while eating lunch and was so edified and uplifted. (author’s note: made me feel a bit sheepish about the previous Hugh post).  I decided to go to the nursery and buy you a flower.  I was so surprised to see you there, I almost laughed, especially when you noticed I hadn’t bought anything.  Little did you know I was there to buy something for you!  Hope you have a wonderful day!..”

I was so stunned!!!!!  I got to thinking about the whole situation and the desire I had to get flowers, but instead just got tools, and was brought flowers.  I thought how much that is like God’s gifts.  I need to expect to work.  I need to put on my gloves and clear out the weeds from my life and use the weed killer He has given us – repentance, scriptures, prayer.  Once I have done the work, then the gift is given.  Just like those flowers left on my porch by S.  My work didn’t make them appear, but they were given freely with love, just as the atonement is given freely and with love.  Gift number eleven.

3 comments:

debisblog said...

Oh Mel, I've been away from reading your blog for awhile and have just now been catching up. You have expressed in eloquence your experience and feelings in some of which I see in my reflection. Oh yes, Mara... easy to judge her, and think how grateful we are not like HER... SHE looked back, SHE hung on to the past, SHE was the bitter one. And yet, after reading your post, how much of me I see in her, or her in me. I love the journey you have embarked upon. It is yours, all yours. But thank you for sharing it. It's like walking on distinct paths, but knowing that if we just reach out, there is someone right next to us, walking theirs. And yes, Hugh Jackman is DEFINITELY a gift! (and from what I can tell, he's a really truly nice guy - - great armpit and all!) Love you tons!!!!

Selwyn said...

If I was there, I would come over and help you weed your garden path. Maybe I'll weed my garden and 'talk' to you and email you for your half of the conversation ;)

Cath said...

This is such a tender story. People are good, aren't they? And Hugh's armpit just made me laugh. I love that your sense of humor is making a come back! xoxo