Sunday, November 12, 2006

Thank you, veterans.


I was wandering the halls in church again today with my one-year old. He's figured out that he only needs to be bad on Sunday between 10:00am and 12:00. That way he gets the most attention. I heard another ward's sacrament meeting over the loudspeaker and went in. A tiny little man with a speck of white hair stood up. He was in an old World War 2 Army uniform. I found out later his name is Keith Squires. He proceeded to tell his story. He crash landed into "His Majesty's Forest" and really hurt his leg. By the time they got him to the hospital, his leg was deeply infected. All the surgeons told him they would have to amputate his leg that afternoon. He was told he had 1 in a 1000 chance of keeping his leg. He said, "But the head physician was telling me to keep my leg. They weren't listening to Him. But I was, and He gave me peace in my heart and told me to keep my leg. I knew that I had kept the Word of Wisdom and been obedient. I knew that He would keep his promises. Twenty-one months later I was released from the hospital with my whole leg. You young people, listen to me now. Promise me this. Don't let the people who sacrificed and gave their lives die in vain. Keep the Word of Wisdom. Stay clean. Stay pure. You will need clear minds and strong bodies for what is to come. You will need to lead this country. You will need to be strong. Promise me this." He was in such earnest, that even I whispered a promise to him under my breath. Afterward, I found him. He was no bigger than a mite, but stood so tall and so proud in a green uniform that must have been 60 years old. It was a privilege to shake his hand. It is a privilege to be married to a veteran. I never thought I'd ever say it, but it is a privilege to be an Army wife.

1 comment:

Reluctant Nomad said...

Mel-thanks for this touching tribute.