Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Who Is Being Killed In The Living Room - a Sabbath fable

I heard a crash in the living room and a bloody scream. I had just started to wash my face and ran out of the bathroom. My favorite white ceramic jack-o-lantern was thrown like a nerf ball onto the wood floor. Number 4 child screamed and looked very guilty. He was scared. I was mad. Church started in 15 minutes and I was still in my pajamas. I lovingly cradled my son and then lovingly cradled the four pieces of the pumpkin. I conducted superglue surgery right there and then on the kitchen counter. It was an emergency. Ol' Jack looked presentable again, so I returned to the bathroom. I had 7 minutes before Church. Unfortunately, I had left the water running in the plugged up sink. It had filled up and overflowed on the counter, then spilled over to the three drawers, filling each with water and then running on to the floor. My brushes, curling iron, cottonballs, etc. looked like they were floating in brine. Did I wail or hide my stupidity? I chose to wail. "GET SOME TOWELS!!!!!!!"
The moral of the story is: A ceramic pumpkin from Savers is not worth ruining all your make-up-- especially before Church.

No comments: