My Mother's Day was off on to a running start at 2:30 a.m. this morning. Aramis was moaning from his perch on the pot and woke me up from a very nice dream. Poor three-year old, he was constipated. I pulled up the oak stool and sat in front of him, holding his hands, and encouraging him. That's what good mothers do, right? After his ordeal, I laid his sweet head back on the pillow and rubbed his back, coaxing him back to sleep. As I sat on his bed, looking at his sweaty face, I couldn't help but feel completely grateful for him -- for all my children. Is God up at 3:00am? "Dear Lord, Thank you, thank you, thank you, for letting me be a mother. Thank you for giving me this overwhelming, tiring, wonderful opportunity to love."
Seven-thirty a.m. came faster than expected and with more moaning from the bathroom. This time it was Porthos, throwing up. Just the day before I had been praying and thanking the Lord that none of had been sick in months. Probably not a good thing to pray for, I realize now. Later, when all had been cleaned up and Porthos was tucked back into bed, I leaned over him (but not too close) and rubbed his porcupine hair. Tears welled up in his big eyes.
"What's wrong? Are you still feeling sick? Do you need to throw-up again?"
"No." He started to cry.
"Well, what is it then?"
With all the tenderness a nine-year old boy could muster, he said, "Its just that I can't hug and kiss you."
That was the best Mother Day present ever.
3 comments:
Melonie, that is the sweetest thing I think I've ever heard. Happy belated Mother's Day. :)
BEST one ever.
What a SWEET child!!!! Lori
Post a Comment