Thursday, September 17, 2009

I WILL NEVER BE THE VICTIM AGAIN


I am a victim of spousal hair abuse. For years and years, I have got my hair trimmed/cut/shaped every six to eight weeks. Only once my husband complimented me on my cut. I remember the day well. It was about two years ago. He said, "It looks okay."
Most of the time, when I get home from the salon, he says, "What have you done to your hair?" When it has finally grown to a length where I cannot do anything with it but stick it in a ponytale, he says, "You're hair is looking nice. Now, don't go and cut it." Does this sound familiar to anyone? I definitely have grounds to call this hair abuse.
In an effort to stop the cycle, yesterday I took my cue from COURTNEY and DAWN and called ASHLEE to set up an appointment. Maybe I could find someone who would look at my face and make my hair work. Then, maybe, just maybe, they might show me how to style it...because it NEVER looks the same the next day when you wash it.
I poured out my soul to ASHLEE while she imitated Edward Scissorhands. I won't bore you with the details, but when D'Artagnan got home that day, I was ready for the abuse to start again.
Instead, this is what he said:
"Your hair looks great."
"This is the best cut I have ever seen on you."
"It makes your face look beautiful."
"That cut makes your face thinner."
"That haircut brings out your eyes."
"I'm horney."

Okay, I might have embellished on the last comment -- I'll leave you to guess.
That is why, I am making ASHLEE the Jerry Lewis and I am the poster child for all spousal hair abuse victims. You do not have to suffer anymore. Give her a call.

9 comments:

Cyndi said...

Please post a picture of the new do! I promise to say all those wonderful things, too...except the last one! I love all your stories and tales of woe.

MissMel said...

Cyndi, I did post a picture of me right on the top of the post...

Cyndi said...

You are gorgeous!! You haven't changed much since I last saw you. Love the new do! :)

Keri said...

I can't wait to see the new do! Chris is not a long hair guy...he actually likes my hair short. A rarity, I know.

Melissa said...

Now for the big question--could you actually make it look good again on your own? That's a big problem for me--I can't do my own hair.

Glad your cut turned out so well!!

Steve said...

I can't wait to see this new look! I am having this conversation with Steve...he loves long hair, and I am sick of it! You rock, Melonie!

Anonymous said...

I can feel your pain! Matt LOVES ponytails (I think most men do) but he knows better than to make any comments after a hair cut - he usually just asks if I like it or not and then if he doesn't really like it he'll say - it's fine but I thought you were going to...:) Gotta love an honest man!

Anonymous said...

I'm not just saying this, but I kept thinking yesterday that you looked great! Maybe it was the hair?!?

Few things are better than finding a hair style and stylist that you LOVE!

ashlee said...

Wow! Thank you so much. I'm so glad that you and your husband have found some common ground. It was so great to do you hair, I had a fantastic time. That's why I do what I do. So I can meet amazing people like you.