
All my twelve-year old wanted was to create aliens and destroy other planets. This shouldn't be too large a wish to grant. He worked and saved for a month and was finally able to earn enough to get SPORE, the fulfillment of all his dreams come true. We went shopping to Target...sold out. We went to Walmart...too expensive (strange, but true). We went to GameStop...sold out. After two days of calling around, we ordered it from Amazon. Another week of waiting. One day, he comes running in shouting and waving the amazon box in his hand. We pull it out...the system requirements are too much for our 6-year old IMac. No problem, we'll load it on the MacBook. Again, too old. We have to buy the Snow Leopard update...but Snow Leopard requires more RAM than we have, so we need to buy that too. D'Artagnan Dad goes to the big city to an APPLE store the next day. 12-year old is beside himself. Dad gets home and Mom turns the MacBook over to install the RAM so we can install Snow Leopard. We take out the battery pack and find screws too small for any screwdriver we own. Dad is off to the hardware store the next day. After Mom's genius and 2 hours later, RAM and Snow Leopard are installed. Crowds of children are gathered around for the opening launch of SPORE. It opens! You need to connect to the internet to register or it won't go past the second screen. Our wireless isn't working in the house right now. 12-year old about to cry. I fiddle with wires and cables. I disconnect the IMac and reconfigure firewalls and DoEpp things and finally get some sort of connection to the laptop. All the children shout! Up pops the screen to enter our internet password.
I cannot remember it.
I try everything. Nothing works.
Now there is definite crying happening and wailing and gnashing of teeth. It's 5:02 on Friday afternoon. I call the internet service provider. Surely they can give me my password. The phone rings and rings. They are closed for the weekend. Its a holiday.
Tensions mount. The 12-year old and the 10-year old begin to fight. Its hot and the weeks of waiting take their toll. I separate them and start yelling, "What would you do if your sons were fighting like this? What punishment would you give them?"
They hemmm and hawww before landing on the perfect punishment.
"No screen time for two weeks!" they reply.
I pick up the SPORE box and smirk.
"Done."
2 comments:
Oh, the genius! It always seems like a snowball affect whenever something goes wrong. Sounds like a great few days of computer "joys" at your house. :)
I've never heard of Spore, but it looks like a good one.
ahahaahahahaaaa! That is SO funny! we have Spore on the DS if you want to borrow it :D
Post a Comment