Friday, August 06, 2010

I STILL GOT IT

We just got back from the grocery store and I just have to tell this story before I forget it. I was finishing putting the kids in the minivan and D'Artagnan was loading the groceries in the back. A tall red-headed man walked in front of the van and headed toward his truck that was parked next to us. He was smiling at me widely. He was checking me out. He was, in fact, close to leering. Yes, once a decade, one will find a man who likes short, round, unbathed Moms who drive minivans whose husbands are loading groceries right behind them.

He smiles and says in a throaty voice (I've always wanted to write that word), "Heellllooo."

I respond in a confused voice. "Hello."

I get in the van, close the door, and look over at the man now in his truck who is still looking at me, and ask my kids, "Do I know that man? Does anyone know him? Does he know me?"

Porthos, my wise-cracking ten-year old leans forward and says, "Yeah. It must have been from a past life when he was a vulture and you were carrion."

and that is why I love my kids.





2 comments:

Keri said...

Woo! Woo! You've totally still got it. Nice! I love your kids comments. Seriously, they crack me up. And I'm also loving "throaty." :)

Angie said...

Your kids really do have some of the best comments! If only you had been wearing your new black pants. :)