Tuesday, November 23, 2010

This post is about October, even though its November.


I had a great October, but I was busy and didn't post any pics about my autumn...my favorite time of year.  SO, here is a photo essay of some of those golden, slanted light days.


In the backyard.  

Mozzarella, basil, pear and cherry tomatoes from my Dad's garden with sweet Modena vinegar and Olio Carli olive oil.  

Porthos pretending he is Houdini.  I swear I had nothing to do with this.

Again, I was just a curious onlooker, not a participant.  Please notice the snake crawling up his mid-section.  This was very menacing.

My Dad babysat and I came home and he had taught them to climb trees.


Scarlett O'Hara and Mario in the front yard.



We took a couple of days and spent them in the crisp fall air at the cabin.  Lovely time.


After we put the campfire out, they played with flashlights.


This year I decided to not decorate with all my tacky Halloween supplies.  I have bins full of them. The kids were opening up the bins and ooohing and aaahing over all the junk I've collected over the years.  I had to step in quickly. I announced, "This year I am decorating like Martha Stewart. There will be nothing tacky allowed.  NO TACKY!"

Aramis, 5-year old, picked up a big, hairy red spider and eyed it longingly.  He lifted the hairy beast up and said, "Can I have Tacky in my room?"

Needless to say, that spider hung by his bed the entire month of October.

Decorating for Halloween...see the witch?

Yes, domestic goddess, even I, made the flower ball hanging things.

Owls landed on top of the piano.


Spiderweb plates.

I made this owl out of Halloween paper plates.  I thought it turned out kind of cool.  Not exactly Martha Stewart worthy, but good enough for us.

Over the fireplace.



Martha says to put spiders on fresh white roses in a black glass face.  My roses were plastic from the dollar store and my vase was found at Deseret Industries after some very focused searching through people's castoffs. 

Meow.

I made this cool wreath, again from Martha's Halloween suggestions.  I spray painted it black and I tried to spray paint the bugs and snakes black.  The paint didn't stick to them, but I think it still came out okay.  I tied the bugs and snakes on with fishing line.  All in all, it took me the entire month of October to get done and I hung it up the day before Halloween.  Success!

Witches' walking sticks.

I roasted pumpkin seeds for the first time ever.  They were fantastic and D'Artagnan almost ate all of them.  I tried some curry ones too, but those were nixed by the little powers that be in the house. 

My Mom's birthday.

We made haunted houses at Robert's crafts one Monday night.


I bought Sugar Princess an equestrian costume last year and forgot about it.  I found it while digging in a box.  She put it on every day.




Aramis' 5th birthday.  It was a month of cakes.


Love this one.  The stem is candy too.  Chocolate ganache dripping down the sides.
Martha would be so proud.



Cousin Cole popping balloons shaped like a pumpkin...now this is Martha Stewart.

We were Sherlock Holmes, a Ninja, a jellyfish (with lights I might add), Mario, and the equestrian. 

Mario is completely worn out from all his racing around.

Brother-in-law Randy as the King of Cards...I am totally going to call him that from now on.

At my sister's Halloween party.

I'm just not sure what the 5-year olds were holding.

Tweedle-Dee and the equestrian Sugar Princess.

After being on the chanter for a year and a half, Athos finally got some real pipes
so the neighborhood can really hear him now.

and finally, an autumn dinner.  I don't know why I took a picture of this.  I must have been hungry, but hey, I've got to do something with it so I'm putting it here. 


Thanksgiving is this week and one thing I am grateful for is October. 

2 comments:

Keri said...

I loved your October post! All I have to say about your decor is...WOW!! Martha WOULD be proud. Everything looked so put together and professional. Way to go. I always try and avoid Tacky too, but Chris MUST hang the big purple/black spider above our front door every year, and now there's no getting out of it. My kids would hate me. But I loved all your decorations, especially those balls and your wreath!

Billie said...

I LOVED all your Halloween pics! Great costumes, great food, great decorations!