Sunday, January 15, 2012

a flying chaise lounge

I was a spy this morning.  I had tied hundreds of colorful balloons onto a chaise lounge and was floating over the Indian army practicing manuevers at the King's palace.  They were marching in their silk pants - oranges, reds, yellows - around the giant keyhole-shaped swimming pool.  They wore turbans in hundreds of colors. I had a hidden camera in my sleeve and I was taking pictures of the army down below.  I'd even brought a child with me to share the space in the floating chaise lounge so I looked like a common tourist.  The army just ignored me.  It was amazing.  I was James Bond on steroids.

Suddenly, I was poked.  I moaned and turned over to hear my 6-year old asking me if he could turn on cartoons.  There is nothing that makes me angrier than being awakened out of a cool dream.  

"Do you know where I was?" I yelled.  I turned to the lump on the other side of the bed that held my husband.  I made sure he was awake to hear it. "I was a spy flying over the Indian army in a ballooned chaise lounge!  Everyone was wearing colorful turbans and doing marching formations at the King's palace.  Then, I wake up and I'm here - I'm coughing and sick, I'm in this stupid rental in U**** county, I'm being poked in the back by a 6-year old who is asking me to turn on cartoons!"  

My husband pushed the blankets back, real pity in his eyes.  He reached for his red pajama bottoms and wrapped them up around his head in the exact same shape as a turban.  He looked just like a Sikh with his thick beard.  
"Feel better?" he asked.

3 comments:

Angie said...

I love it!!!

RIck and Ella-Rene said...

You have brighten my otherwise sleep deprived day....

Belly laughter is such a wonderful medicine.

Blue said...

between this and your "Daughter 'I have indian breath.' (instead of onion breath)" comment, i can tell i'm a fan of the cannons. i love it when i have indian breath...means i've been to Bombay House, which is a treat i only get to enjoy a few times a year (on a good year). ♥